Dr. Sultan Ahmad Herbarium
The Department of Botany is one of the oldest departments in the University, being established in 1902. Prof. Shiv Ram Kashyap, who was the department head from 1912 to 1934, established a museum and herbarium. The herbarium’s holdings included plants from many regions, including China, Indonesia and Philippines, and its collection of liverworts and mosses was considered the largest in the subcontinent at that time. The collection grew to include several hundred specimens of algae, fungi, bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms and angiosperms but, when the University of the Punjab was established as a separate institution, most of the specimens were transferred there. The present museum and herbarium are named the Prof. Kashyap Museum and Dr. Sultan Ahmed Herbarium. Both are being actively developed. The Department also has a botanic garden, Botanic Garden GCU, which was founded in 1912 and extends over 7 acres. It has long been recognized for the diversity of its holdings. It is home to Pakistan’s Botanic Gardens Network Secretariat.